Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kalamazoo
The mission of the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kalamazoo is to enhance the quality of life of young people through education, art, health, and recreation, especially for those who need us most.
Boys and Girls Clubs are open after school to provide educational and recreational programs free of charge to youth in the community. Boys and Girls Clubs is dedicated to ensuring that the youth in Kalamazoo have a safe place to go, and access to quality programs and services that enhance their lives and shape their futures. We offer programming in five core areas:
- Participating Arts — encourages creativity, focus, the importance of practice, and helps young people see the beauty in the world around them. The program offers youth the opportunity to participate in many art forms including digital, performing, and visual arts.
- Character & Leadership Development — helps to instill confidence and a sense of self-worth that will remain with youth for years to come.
- Education & Career Development — provides educational and professional guidance, tutoring, and mentoring, and gives members the tools to become successful adults and the confidence to achieve their scholastic and professional goals.
- Health & Life Skills — encourages young people to engage in positive behaviors that nurture their own well-being and helps them set personal goals and live successfully as self-sufficient, healthy beings.
- Sports, Fitness & Recreation — encourages youth to develop an understanding of and passion for fitness, sportsmanship, and teamwork. With different sports leagues and daily gym activities, youth always have an opportunity to be active.
The Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kalamazoo has three units located in neighborhoods where youth development opportunities are greatly needed — the Lake Street Unit is located in the Edison Neighborhood, the Douglass Unit in the Northside Neighborhood, and the Northeastern Unit in the Eastside Neighborhood. In addition to afterschool programming, Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Kalamazoo offers a residential summer camp and programming for youth from each unit during summer break.
Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Kalamazoo helps young people make healthy and productive decisions by providing programs that address the developmental needs of youth, a safe environment in which to learn, supportive adult relationships, and recognition of individual potential.
For more information, visit www.bgckzoo.org.